November 26, 2009

Jean Deconstruction



















I had a pair of pants I loved for many years but began growing bored of their plain style. So I decided a makeover was in order.

Materials:
Pair of Jeans
Bleach
Scissors (sharp)

Optional Materials:
Spray bottle
Ink
Stamps
Leather Cord
Grommets

Although nature, over the course of years, had failed to yield some cool holes, the same effect was achieved by opening the scissors and scraping the fabric. I did this as opposed to just cutting the holes because I wanted the worn look that leaves the white threads covering the openings. I wanted those sections to feel soft and authentically worn. You have to be careful not to hurt your hand as you hold the other blade and although I can't recommend it, I found the best work surface to be my own leg. As I wore the jeans the fabric was stretched taunt over my leg and allowed for easier scraping.

Bleach will eat RIGHT THROUGH fabric when poured on straight in large amounts. And the effect grows over time to make sure you do several light applications as you can never go back. You may opt to mix a diluted solution in a spray bottle.

I used fabric paint and stamps to further the look and after creating a large hole in the thigh (doh! darn that bleach) I created a laced effect with red leather cord and some grommets.

Definitely a fave pair of jeans again!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...