June 10, 2013

Living in Small Spaces

Sometimes I feel like I live in a teepee. I have one large, great room where we do all our living- sleeping, playing, diaper changing, etc and the ceiling is two stories high with a spiral staircase going up. upstairs are two rooms, one is my studio and the other is a GIANT closet that serves for storage, music making, and husband dressing. Alas it is next to impossible for us to child proof an open spiral staircase and the upstairs studio at the top of it is like a loft without a solid wall. So in the interest of keeping my monkey safe, we mostly live downstairs, in the giant room beyond the kitchen.

Its nice to be so close and not separated in other rooms like a nursery.  We just took to a family bed and didn't even get a crib. She slept by me in the hospital even. Once she could roll over we made it a floor bed, which Montessori recommends.  I can catch those early morning smiles and its awesome to not have to descend stairs to pee in the middle of the night.

Bringing another person in has meant getting rid of a lot of stuff both in the name if child proofing and just plain space. Keeps me on my hoarding toes because I do love stuff, lots of it. Never met a garage sale I didn't shop.

I've made her a corner but really the whole space is hers. Colorful, interesting, and stocked with something to play with. 

I like being so close with no need for a baby monitor. I think it's how all families once lived and now are moving so far away from. 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...