December 15, 2010

Recycled Sweater

I have a really nice, chunky, wool sweater that's a darker beige than this shawl shown:


and it's so big it makes me look about 6 sizes larger though the sleeves are 7 inches too short.  It has lovely vintage wooden buttons that I will save for something.  I was trying to imagine what I would turn it into and in the past used felted wool sweaters for purses, scarves, arm/leg warmers and neck warmers. But i never used a large bulk of the sweater and with such a nice pattern I want to use as much of it as possible on the one piece.  After searching for maybe hours on etsy and ebay looking for the perfect shaw one night, I realized I could have spent that time MAKING one.  I really like this one knitted by reunasilmukka.  

I can't believe I have not come across a tutorial to turn a sweater into a shawl yet!  i figure cut up the sides, cut open the arms, sew each arm edge to a bodice edge and maybe leave an opening for arms.  I ll keep looking but may just use the bottom half to make the above.

I'll take my time before making that first cut though.  In the mean time I'll straighten up the studio; it literally looks like an episode of hoarders in here.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...